In 1998, Kevin coaches Randall to successfully ask Beth out. She is overwhelmed when he wears a suit and takes her to an upscale restaurant that discriminates against them. She asks him not to call her, but he privately believes they will marry.
Seven years later, they are a couple, but Beth has declined Randall's repeated marriage proposals. Beth chafes that Randall's life "consumes" them. Rebecca tells Beth that Randall didn't know his place in the universe until he met her. Beth and Randall agree to be equals; she accepts his proposal.
On their wedding day, they write their vows together. After Tess's birth, Beth fears the couple's success always comes through Beth's sacrifices. After William and Kevin move in, Beth plans to secretly spend one night alone at a hotel, but returns home after Randall finds out and charms her.
In the present, Beth confronts Randall over always catering to his whims; Randall remembers his parents' similar fight about Rebecca's singing. Beth blames Randall's mental health for limiting her opportunities, but immediately regrets it. Randall, with nothing else to say, returns to Philadelphia. Randall and Beth lie awake, Randall in his office and Beth on the bedroom floor.
- Milo Ventimiglia as Jack Pearson
- Mandy Moore as Rebecca Pearson
- Sterling K. Brown as Randall Pearson
- Chrissy Metz as Kate Pearson
- Justin Hartley as Kevin Pearson
- Susan Kelechi Watson as Beth Pearson
- Chris Sullivan as Toby Damon (credit only)
- Jon Huertas as Miguel Rivas (credit only)
- Melanie Liburd as Zoe Baker (credit only)
- Eris Baker as Tess Pearson (credit only)
- Faithe Herman as Annie Pearson (credit only)
- Lyric Ross as Deja Pearson (credit only)
- Ron Cephas Jones as William Hill
- Rachel Hilson as Teen Beth Clarke
- Isaac Faulkner as Nathan
- Tommy Dickie as Waiter
Notes and Trivia
- This episode scored 7.63 million viewers.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|This Is Us Season 3|
|#01||"Nine Bucks"||#07||"Sometimes"||#13||"Our Little Island Girl"|
|#02||"A Philadelphia Story"||#08||"Six Thanksgivings"||#14||"The Graduates"|
|#03||"Katie Girls"||#09||"The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning"||#15||"The Waiting Room"|
|#04||"Vietnam"||#10||"The Last Seven Weeks"||#16||"Don't Take My Sunshine Away"|
|#05||"Toby"||#11||"Songbird Road (Part 1)"||#17||"R & B"|
|#06||"Kamsahamnida"||#12||"Songbird Road (Part 2)"||#18||"Her"|