The first of three episodes each focusing solely on one of the Pearson kids; Kevin, still on a prescription medication and alcohol-fueled binge, returns to his former high school to receive an award.
As a teen, Kevin is a talented football player and Jack and Rebecca are hosting a recruiter from Pitt University for dinner who wants to offer Kevin a full scholarship. Kevin feels he's too good for Pitt and is incredibly rude to the recruiter, which sparks an argument with his father. Jack later apologizes to Kevin who dismisses the apology and in a moment of weakness, Kevin witnesses a frustrated Jack on the kitchen floor reciting his sobriety pledge.
Adult Kevin receives the award, and when he imagines his father giving him the award, he realizes he isn't worthy of it and attempts to explain this to the crowd. However, they take it as humility and celebrate him even more. He later recounts how all he really wanted was for his father to be proud of him and that he feels he never got the chance to make it happen.
On the day of his high school football game, Jack and Randall travel to Washington D.C. to tour a school that Randall is interested in attending and they miss Kevin's game. During the game, Kevin takes a hit on the field and is taken to hospital with a knee injury. When Jack arrives, he has to break the news to Kevin that although he will walk again, he will never be able to play professional football. Jack gives a deflated Kevin his necklace that he received in Vietnam and recounts to Kevin how he was feeling lost when he received the necklace and hopes it will do the same for Kevin.
Adult Kevin sleeps with Charlotte, a former classmate who is now a doctor. He ends up stealing her prescription pad and writes a fake prescription for himself before bailing on her. Just before he attempts to fill the prescription, he realizes his necklace is missing and returns to Charlotte's house, only for her to deny him entry to find the necklace. Kevin breaks down on her lawn. He later shows up at Randall's house where Randall tells him that Kate has lost her baby.
- Milo Ventimiglia as Jack Pearson
- Mandy Moore as Rebecca Pearson
- Sterling K. Brown as Randall Pearson
- Chrissy Metz as Kate Pearson (credit only)
- Justin Hartley as Kevin Pearson
- Susan Kelechi Watson as Beth Pearson (credit only)
- Chris Sullivan as Toby Damon (credit only)
- Jon Huertas as Miguel Rivas (credit only)
- Alexandra Breckenridge as Sophie (credit only)
- Eris Baker as Tess Pearson (credit only)
- Faithe Herman as Annie Pearson (credit only)
- Ron Cephas Jones as William Hill (credit only)
- Amanda Leighton as Teen Sophie
- Stefanie Black as Charlotte Everly
- James Read as Duffy Collins
- Matt Riedy as Coach Waltering
- Isabel Durant as Kelly
- Rebecca Metz as Martina
- Michael Woodley as Paul
- Elise Robertson as Coordinator
- Yolanda Snowball as Principal
- Austin Mincks as Student
- Christine Hassay as MRI Tech
- Carlos E. Campos as Pharmacist
- Jordan Preston as Customer
- Jesse Mackey as Lyft Driver
- Lisa Linke as Fan #1
- Herbert Russell as Fan #2
Notes and Trivia
- This episode scored 10.05 million viewers.
- This episode is Kevin-centric.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|This Is Us Season 2|
|#01||"A Father's Advice"||#07||"The Most Disappointed Man"||#13||"That'll Be the Day"|
|#02||"A Manny-Splendored Thing"||#08||"Number One"||#14||"Super Bowl Sunday"|
|#03||"Déjà Vu"||#09||"Number Two"||#15||"The Car"|
|#04||"Still There"||#10||"Number Three"||#16||"Vegas, Baby"|
|#05||"Brothers"||#11||"The Fifth Wheel"||#17||"This Big, Amazing, Beautiful Life"|
|#06||"The 20's"||#12||"Clooney"||#18||"The Wedding"|